Wednesday, January 4, 2017

My Sayang

He was and will always be my sayang...

A year ago, at this hour, I received miss calls and messages. I was in an official meeting and I couldn't check my phone. When I saw all the missed calls and messages, I only knew I can trust one person who will give me a straight answer. I called L and he told me...Syd is gone forever...my tears started flowing...my heart was heavy...my sayang, my friend  went to meet his Maker and I don't know why he had to go so soon.

I went back to Penang that evening, I have to be there for the others, especially EC...It was not easy seeing him...L's wife kept on saying we just saw him 5 days ago, L held me close to him...we were all mourning for a dear friend. Syd was not smiling, he looked dark, something was not settled, I asked him what is wrong...why are you not in peace my friend? It was the following day, when I had a moment with EC, just the two of us, I finally understood something. When I went to say my final good bye to him, I promised him, told him that I approve and understand whatever happened. I promised him I will take care of her, and then I saw the smile on his face, finally now I know I am sending him away in peace...

The last I saw him was on the 31st, L with his wife, EC, Syd and I had our new year's eve dinner. It was almost midnight when we left to go home. He wanted EC and I to come up to his apartment to usher in the new year but EC had to go home to her family...that was the last I spoke & hugged him...the next day, I was back in KL. It was not easy at all to come back home after 5 days to see him like that...Syd loved plants and flowers and I am sure he would have been happy to see the amount of flowers he received..


I met Syd as a colleague, a funny old man who loves to tease and kacau everyone. His favorite thing to do with me is to untie the ribbons on my baju or saree blouse. He was really cheeky, each time I scream at him, someone will scold him not to disturb me... He brought EC and I to meet his mom, a very very old, wise, smart and beautiful lady. EC and I started cooking and have picnics at the home, feeding amma as I call her, was a norm. EC said she's the illegal daughter in law 1 and me illegal daughter in law 2. When amma passed away, Syd held on to both of us.... We were all there for him. 

I call him sayang and everyone at work knows that. I was comfortable with him, love the hugs he gave. When I introduced him to my family, one look at him and everyone knew he was harmless. He was lovely with kids and dogs! He loved EC's daughters and Marley. He was a man with many wonderful experiences and he loves to tell stories, which only God knows is true or not! He loves to start his conversation with me by " You know Jay......"

I was given the honour to write his eulogy, it was not an easy task but it was the least I can do for him...Syd, he touched so many hearts, his students loved him, his colleagues though thought he was a pain at times, loved and adored him. He was a filial son. He was a brother to many, a sister to some but definitely a good friend to most.

Rest in peace my dear sayang, we are getting together this evening at your final resting place to celebrate your life. We miss you dearly and you are always in our hearts....




No comments: