Sunday, May 27, 2018

A proud Malaysian

It was election on May 9...

A discussion that took place years back came to my memory. There were 5 of us, working together, head of schools and our routine at most evenings when almost everyone has left office is to make our favorite beverage and sit together to chill and to discuss any matters that sometimes is related to work/staff or just sometimes about anything under the sky.

One day, I opened up on a topic that I have read somewhere about how someone identifies themselves, it consisted on 3 factors and how we rank the importance was very interesting. The factors were: nationality, gender, religion. I posed this question to the group. Let me give a brief dynamics of the group, it consists of 3 guys; a Muslim Malay, a Caucasian from Melbourne, a Taoist Chinese, and 2 ladies, a  Taoist Chinese and myself, a Hindu Tamil. We were rather surprised how we identified ourselves, the 2 ladies, ranked our gender to be top, followed by our nationality and the last was our religion/race. The guys I recall did not rank their gender top. We had a lively discussion on this and we saw how our nationality became an important aspects in who we were.

Now back to present day, the nation or at least most of us decided on that faithful Wednesday, 9th of May, to be united as Malaysian...we were not Chinese or Indian or Malay, we were proud Malaysians and we showed it to the world. 

Nothing gives me more pride then to say I am a Malaysian and this is Negaraku, tanah tumpah darahku....

No comments: